She was partially raised in Barbados.
At age five, she went to the island to live with her grandmother. Grandma instilled in her a deep self-love: “Granny gave me strength, dignity, and love. I learned from an early age that I was somebody."
She didn’t intend to go into politics.
Chisholm’s first career was in education. But she saw how necessary it was for her district to have real support - so she ran for New York State Assembly, won, and started her political rise.
She walked the talk.
Her time in congress was about uplifting women and people of color - and she proved it by hiring an all-woman staff, half of whom were Black women.
She built bridges across difference.
Known for her uncompromising attitude - she was “Unbought and Unbossed” after all - she nevertheless visited openly racist George Wallace, a fellow congressperson, in the hospital. Later, that relationship helped her pass a crucial minimum wage bill.
The opposition to her presidential campaign was fierce.
While campaigning for president in 1972, she faced opposition from all sides: the men in the Congressional Black Caucus, racist men AND women in both parties, war hawks upset with her anti-Vietnam stance, and voters concerned about “electability.”
But her run was about sending a message. “I want history to remember me... as a [B]lack woman who… dared to be herself… as a catalyst for change in America.”
PushBlack is a nonprofit dedicated to raising up Black voices. We are a small team but we have an outsized impact:
- We reach tens of millions of people with our BLACK NEWS & HISTORY STORIES every year.
- We fight for CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM to protect our community.
- We run VOTING CAMPAIGNS that reach over 10 million African-Americans across the country.
And as a nonprofit, we rely on support from shoppers like you.
Fitted, comfortable, and soft—this t-shirt was made just for you. And it can withstand several washings while maintaining its shape, so it's great for everyday wear!
• 100% fine jersey cotton
• Heather grey is 90% cotton, 10% polyester
• Fabric weight: 4.3 oz/y² (146 g/m²)
• Shoulder-to-shoulder taping
• Blank products stocked in the US are made in USA
• Blank products stocked in the EU are sourced worldwide